Are you seeking to create a strategy for growth of your business?
Running a successful business takes dedication, passion, and lots of hard work. However, sometimes it takes the simple things that really move a business in the right direction. Even one of the most successful businessman in the world today, Sir Richard Branson, describes his "Five Top Tips to Starting a Successful Business". His tips are simple and easy, but so often forgotten in our high tech world. Whether you are beginning your business venture or you are feeling stuck in your current one, his tips will take you back to the roots–a place you may not have visited for quite some time. Enjoy!
Simple Tips to Developing Your Strategy for Growth
1. Stop talking and listen. For anyone who has followed my posts for awhile, you know that I often talk about listening and how important it is for leaders. To make it as simple as possible, Mr. Branson simply states, "Listen more than you talk". This is a great way to keep your talking in check and pay attention to what is happening around you. Pay attention, no matter where you are–you never know what you may hear!
2. Simplicity is key. Running a business does not mean you need to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes it is the simple solutions that bring about the largest amount of change. If there is someone that is doing it right, learn from them. This doesn't mean you need to throw away your innovation, just keep it simple.
3. Pride is a good thing. Being proud of yourself, your accomplishments, and your business is not a bad thing or make you self centered. Showing pride in what you do allows others to do the same. The most successful people are proud of their hard work and achievements. This includes your team–help them to feel pride in their work and your company.
4. Don't forget about fun. You are building a business to create the lifestyle you envision. Have fun! If you are struggling and not having fun along the way, you may be doing it wrong. Create a business that you are excited to wake up to everyday. Be sure your business environment is fun for your employees and team members as well. Remember laughter is the best medicine.
5. Failures go with the territory. All business owners have unsuccessful ventures–this is part of the process. However, it is the lessons you learn from these failures that create successes. The truth is that you will face setbacks, but don't let them dictate your future. Discover what happened or what went wrong, and get back on the horse. You have the power to learn, analyze, and start again.
Going back to basics is often the easiest way to create your strategy for growth. When you stumble or you need a little inspiration, pull out this list and notice what is missing from your plan.
Do you need to re-evaluate and re-design your current plan? Share your comments below so others may learn from you.